by john m. powers, john c. wataha
focusing on the dental materials most commonly used, dental materials: properties and manipulation, 10th edition covers the tasks that dental assistants and dental hygienists typically perform. it shows the most current materials, how to mix and apply them in a clinical setting, and how to educate patients about them. now in full color, this edition adds more photographs of materials actually being mixed, used, and applied, and includes detailed coverage of ceramics, metals, and implant and impression materials. written by well-known experts on restorative dentistry and materials, john powers and john wataha, dental materials is a trusted text that keeps you on top of the rapidly developing field of dental materials.
- comprehensive, focused coverage includes all the materials and tasks relevant to day-to-day practice of dental assistants and dental hygienists.
- cutting-edge content describes the latest materials commonly used in dental practice, including those in esthetics, ceramics, dental implants, and impressions.
- more than 400 illustrations and photographs make it easier to understand properties and recognize differences in materials in general and specific types of products.
- discussions of materials begin with a study of their properties and uses before moving into specific manipulations and applications in dentistry.
- note boxes highlight key points and important terminology throughout the text.
- summary tables and boxes summarize key concepts and procedures.
- quick review boxes summarize the material in each chapter.
- a logical format sets up a solid foundation before progressing into discussions of specific materials, moving from the more common and simple applications such as composites to more specialized areas such as polymers and dental implants.
- review questions provide an excellent study tool with 20 to 30 self-test questions in each chapter.
- key terms are listed at the outset of each chapter, bolded at their initial mention in the text, and defined in the glossary.
- learning objectives in each chapter focus your attention on essential information.
- supplemental readings in each chapter cite texts and journal articles for further research and study.
- conversion factors on the inside back cover provides a list of common metric conversions.
- expert authors are well recognized in the fields of dental materials, oral biomaterials, and restorative dentistry.
- new and updated discussions address advances in areas such as esthetics, ceramics, and materials for dental impressions and dental implants.
- full-color illustrations improve clarity and realism, including for example, color photos of esthetics and bleaching showing the differences in shades of color.
- more than 100 new illustrations and photographs include images showing the materials being used and applied.
by christoph hammerle, irena sailer, andrea thoma
the dental ceramic materials available today make it possible to create elegant, high-quality ceramic restorations, even in prosthetically and esthetically challenging cases, and the current technologies utilized to process these materials ensure predictable results.
by carmen scheller-sheridan
the ‘basic guide to dental materials’ is the essential guide to dental materials for all members of the dental team. information is provided in a clear and concise manner, breaking the topic of dental materials down to the core basics.
by mieczyslaw jurczyk (editor)
this book describes new biomaterials based on nanostructural chemically bonded bioceramics. they are widely used as general construction materials, but have also found new applications as biomaterials. these biomaterials are produced in situ and in vivo mainly using hydration reactions, which are reactions between phosphates, silicates, or aluminates and water. the text treats general and specific properties of these materials in detail and also describes the potential application area for these new materials.
by corrado piconi, lia rimondini, loredana cerroni
questo volume, risultato della collaborazione di autori di consolidata esperienza, passa in rassegna tutti gli aspetti relativi alla evoluzione e all’impiego della zirconia in odontoiatria e fornisce informazioni utili per poter utilizzare questo materiale nella pratica clinica. la zirconia, è un materiale ceramico dotato di eccellenti proprietà meccaniche e di resistenza alla compressione e alla frattura. il suo utilizzo in settori come, per esempio, l’ortopedia è più che consolidato, è per nuovo l’interesse che la zirconia ha destato e sta destando nella comunità odontoiatrica per le sue proprietà meccaniche che ne consentono l’utilizzo anche nei settori posteriori e nei ponti, nel pieno rispetto di elevati canoni estetici.
by matinlinna (editor), kash l. mittal (editor)
modern adhesive dentistry has numerous applications in cariology, as well as in aesthetic and pediatric dentistry, prosthodontics, implantology, and orthodontics-in essence, in comprehensive dental care. the current developments in adhesive techniques for soft tissues and also some slow-releasing agents have expanded applications to endodontics, periodontology and maxillo-facial surgery as well. it is quite manifest that the concept “adhesive dentistry” with novel materials is profoundly changing the practice of dentistry. also it is apparent that great strides will be made in the future based on materials research and discovery.
clinicians and researches are fully aware of such modern motto which is based on minimal invasive dentistry and adhesive technologies: “seal is the deal.” so this unique book covering various ramifications of adhesion and adhesives in the broad domain of dentistry provides an important source of information. among the topics covered include testing aspects of dental materials, dentin bonding, restorations, and adhesion promotion. this book, containing bountiful information, reflects the cumulative wisdom of many world-renowned researches and should be of interest to anyone involved in any aspects of dentistry. we further hope this book will serve as a fountainhead for new research ideas and new application vistas will emerge as new adhesive materials and techniques become available.
author: sherwood i anand
this book materials in restorative dentistry presents a comprehensive review and current advancements in the field of dental materials used in restorative dentistry. it has been aimed for both undergraduate and also postgraduate level students of dentistry. there is scarcely a restorative procedure that does not make use of dental material in one way or another. in these days of rapid developments, a dental material can get modified or replaced in as little as three years. there are very many books on the topic of dental materials contributed by both indian and international authors. this book is essentially a compilation of all information from various books and presented in a unique way. uniqueness of this book lies in vast details of all chapters with historical perspective and wherever necessary and applicable two or more classifications of materials are detailed. material science is a vast field with physics, chemistry, and metallurgy as background. in first 3 chapters some basic aspects of material science has been covered. chapter on polymer, bonding and ceramics has been dealt with in very elaborate manner. a chapter on endodontic materials has been added which has been lacking in certain textbooks. students can further enhance their understanding by referring to the books added in reference section. last section of university questions gives exercise for student’s chapter wise, giving them an idea of what needs to be given emphasis in each chapter. it is hoped that after reading this book, students will have a wider understanding of dental materials employed in restorative dentistry.
author: soratur sh
viva-voce is an important part of the examination in all professional courses. this will ensure that the student has understood the subject, he can express in his own words and it is a stepping-stone to future seminars, etc. with this in mind, this book contains more than 1200 simple questions and answers related to dental materials of 1st bds course. i have also included chapters on spotters, and manipulations of materials, which are in the scheme of university practical examinations. it is hoped students will be benefited by reading this book.
- kenneth j. anusavice, dmd, phd, professor and chairman, department of dental biomaterials, college of dentistry, university of florida, gainesville, fl
learn the most up-to-date information on materials used in the dental office and laboratory today. emphasizing practical, clinical use, as well as the physical, chemical, and biological properties of materials, this leading reference helps you stay current in this very important area of dentistry. this new full-color edition also features an extensive collection of new clinical photographs to better illustrate the topics and concepts discussed in each chapter.
new to this edition
- new! full color illustrations and line art throughout the book make text material more clear and vivid.
- new! chapter on emerging technologies keeps you up to date on the latest materials in use.
- new! larger trim size allows the text to have fewer pages and makes the content easier to read.
- organization of chapters and content into four parts (general classes and properties of dental materials; auxiliary dental materials; direct restorative materials; and indirect restorative materials) presents the material in a logical and effective way for better comprehension and readability.
- balance between materials science and manipulation bridges the gap of knowledge between dentists and lab technicians.
- major emphasis on biocompatibility serves as a useful guide for clinicians and educators on material safety.
- distinguished contributor pool lends credibility and experience to each topic discussed.
- critical thinking questions appearing in boxes throughout each chapter stimulate thinking and encourage classroom discussion of key concepts and principles.
- key terms presented at the beginning of each chapter helps familiarize readers with key terms so you may better comprehend text material.
- james zhijian shen
- toma kosmacˇ
synthesizes fundamental science with current engineering of modern ceramic materials and ceramics processes to support applications in dentistry
the growth of implant and fixed prosthodontics practices in dentistry has created a rapidly increasing demand for advanced ceramics and ceramic processes. innovations in ceramics and ceramic processes are vital to ensure reliable and affordable dental-restoration solutions with aesthetically pleasing outcomes.
the work aims to engage the bioceramics and engineering communities to meet the challenges of modern dental restoration using advanced ceramics. incorporating fundamental science, advanced engineering concepts, and clinical outcomes, the work is suitable for bioceramicists, ceramics manufacturers, dental clinicians and biologists.
- state-of-the-art-coverage encompasses bioresorbable ceramics for bone regeneration and bioactivating surfaces of inert, high-strength ceramics for implantation, keeping research knowledge appropriately updated
- discusses transition from the baseline stable and physically stiff ceramics research into engineering of highly coherent laminate composites for prosthetic crowns and bridges
- showcases current feasible techniques for producing, in cost-effective and materials-saving ways, long-lasting individualized ceramic components with biocompatibility, complexity and high precision
- j. anthony von fraunhofer, bsc, msc, phd, professor emeritus, baltimore college of dental surgery, university of maryland, maryland, usa
dental materials at a glance, 2nd edition, is the latest title in the highly popular at a glance series, providing a concise and accessible introduction and revision aid. following the familiar, easy-to-use at a glance format, each topic is presented as a double-page spread with key facts accompanied by clear diagrams encapsulating essential information.
systematically organized and succinctly delivered, dental materials at a glance covers:
- each major class of dental material and biomaterial
- basic chemical and physical properties
- clinical handling and application
- complications and adverse effects of materials
dental materials at a glance is the ideal companion for all students of dentistry, residents, and junior clinicians. in addition, the text will provide valuable insight for general dental practitioners wanting to update their materials knowledge and be of immediate application for dental hygienists, dental nurses, dental assistants, and technicians.
- william j. o’brien, phd, fadm, professor, department of biologic and materials sciences, director, dental materials laboratory, school of dentistry, university of michigan, ann arbor, michigan
fundamental principles of material science are closely integrated with everyday dental practice in the newly revised edition of this classic textbook. written in a practical, straightforward manner with the student practitioner in mind, this book presents the essential knowledge of material structure and properties. a glossary of terms and discussion questions are included with each chapter to help students focus on the concepts they will need as practicing dentists. promoting problem-based learning through the use of real-life clinical scenarios, the authors show how to apply the framework of material science to restorative treatment plans. this didactic combination will enable students, technicians, and clinicians not only to select appropriate materials for various clinical situations, but to handle them correctly for optimum clinical performance.
- yoshiki oshida professor emeritus, school of dentistry, indiana university, bloomington, in, usa research professor, college of engineering, syracuse university, syracuse, ny, usa adjunct professor, school of dentistry, university of california san francisco, san francisco, ca, usa
this updated, comprehensive publication reviews the latest findings and helps medical and dental practitioners understand when and how to use titanium in various biomaterials applications.
the second edition of bioscience and bioengineering of titanium materials is an essential resource for anyone researching titanium in its fundamental aspects and in medical/dental applications. the book organizes and processes the findings from over 2,000 published articles and studies into a coherent and easily accessible volume, deftly weaving together older and newer technologies to give a clear overview. bridging the gap between medical/dental and engineering/technology areas, the book covers material classification, fabrication and modification, as well as applications and biological reactions to titanium implants.
the author, with extensive work in academics and industry, helps medical practitioners and students answer many practical questions, including: what is titanium what type of titanium materials should i use in this case how can i fabricate my design using titanium are there any alternative materials or methods in the second edition, macro-, micro-, and nano-texturing of titanium surfaces, tissue engineering-related materials including scaffolds, and functionally graded materials and structures are extensively included and analyzed.
readership: materials scientists, students, and engineers working in biomaterials research and applications.
- provides quick access to the primary literature in this field
- up-to-date information on nanoscience and nanotechnology developments
- helps answer questions about the most appropriate materials to use and when to use them
the book when, why and where in oral and maxillofacial surgery (part ii) provides the basic facts and principles of oral surgery which are necessary for every student. in this book covers maximum topics of basic oral and maxillofacial surgery, explains in simple and lucid language. the book is helpful in diagnosis and management. in this book given point-wise and diagrammatic representation for easy to understand and remember. the book is particularly helpful for postgraduate students of dental students.